Design Assignment/Tutorial – DaVinci Invents the Ham Sandwhich

I was  both very interested  and nervous in starting this assignment. The effect looked amazing, but I had no idea where to begin with this. I checked out “steampunk” technique the author of this assignment recommended, but I could not figure out how it applied.  I decided to mess around with Photoshop for the first time this semester and see how much I still remembered, as I knew you could make a similiar affect in there. This is what I came up with.

Inventing the Ham and Cheese Sandwhich

Although I didnt quite grasp the effect I was hoping, I think it turned out ok.

What I used:

I used three different programs for this assignment, as there were some features I was not sure how use in one but did in another. Istarted with Photoshop CS3, went to GIMP and ended the process with Picnik. How I used each one is covered more in detail in the Tutorial.

Tutorial:

Please note that is may be a more complicated way to do it as I am jumping from program to program. Unfortunatly, it was the only way I could find to do it.

1) Open Photoshop and then open your first image. Go to the bottom right hand corner of your screen, under the “Layers” tab. Right click on the image labeled “Background” and select Duplicate Later, hit ok.

2) Click on a layer and go to, Image –> Adjustments –> Desaturate. This will make it black and white. Do this for both layers.

3) Select the background copy and invert it (control + i) and change the blending mode from “normal” to “Color Dodge”. This will make the image almost dissapear, if not fully. Dont worry, it is still there.

4)  Go to Filter –> Blur –> Gaussian Blur. From here you can change the amount of pixels in your picture, changing the details of it. You can either choose one that looks nice to you, or go to the optional 5th step to make it a little more personal.

(optional) 5) If you want to do a more manual job, you can select a low pixel radius from step 4 and select the burn tool to add in shading. To find the burn tool, to go the dodge tool and right click.

6) After all your images are how you want them, its time to put them in a document together. I used GIMP for this, as I found it hard to do in Photoshop for some reason. In GIMP it was simply a matter of making a new project with a large background, copying, posting and resizing the images into the positions I wanted them. The Resizing and Movement Tools are located in the top right. After I did this, I saved the document and moved to the next program.

7) I uploaded the image to Flickr and used picnic to edit it by going to Effects –> Texture and selecting one from there. VIOLA! You have my entire process.

Tags: , ,

No Responses to “Design Assignment/Tutorial – DaVinci Invents the Ham Sandwhich”

1. Hannah says:

I really like this assignment. The ham sandwich was a very creative choice. I think this is very well executed and looks great. Good job!

2. Abbie says:

Originality is what I love the most about this assignment. You take us right to the basic raw materials used for that ham sandwich. I made one too using picnik and picasa.

3. JustinBaker says:

Thanks for the advice Tim. I will give that a try and resubmit.

4. Tim Owens says:

Yeah the steampunk idea is probably best as a completely different assignment and I was limited by Twitter characters. Mostly was just thinking of the idea of breaking out an object to see a cross-section of it with interesting internals (which is kind of different from the Da Vinci thing). I think you did well with this. To add lines the easiest would be to go analog and print out this image, draw some sketch lines overtop it and scan it back in.

5. JustinBaker says:

I did notice the lines, however I wasnt sure on how to apply that effect and I could not find a tutorial on how to. Would you happen to have an idea? The title of the post was simply stating the assignment name, I changed it though.

6. Alan Levine says:

The look and feel of this is spot on, but if you look a bit closer, the Davinci style has the drawings of lines and dimensions, that make it look like a blueprint.

I am not 100% sure how these elements make up the parts of a kitchen sink…